Distinctive Characteristics and Main Features of 20th Century PhilosophyJune 28, 2021
Key Features of 20th Century Philosophy
It is the period in which new explanations are brought to the problems of philosophy.
It is the period of specialization in philosophy.
It is the period when philosophy gains new methods.
– It is the period in which the fields of philosophy are deepened.
– It is the period when new main trends in philosophy were formed.
– Symbolic logic is the period in which studies are concentrated.
– It is the period in which linguistic analyzes were made, the relations between language and thought were examined, and language theories were developed.
– It is the period when the philosophy of science was established as a result of studies on science.
– It is the period in which the history of philosophy produced the most publications and its publications increased gradually.
– It is the period when philosophy is done all over the world through universities.
20th century philosophy; In addition to being a period in which what the truth is, how to know it, and metaphysical discussions make themselves felt, it is also a period in which ideas about changes in the social and economic plane such as the world wars are formed.
The philosophy of the 20th century, which is a contemporary philosophy and not dominated by a certain geography, has been systematized over time and has been practiced in various parts of the world.
When we look at the historical course of the 19th century, it is seen that the progress of science brought new studies in many fields, this situation revealed the idea of expertise in science, and some fields of science that were previously gathered under natural philosophy were separated from philosophy and turned into independent disciplines. These developments in science have caused philosophers to emphasize knowledge and question science. This orientation also led to the theorizing of philosophy. Specializations have also started in philosophy and in-depth studies have been carried out in various fields. Towards the end of the 20th century, there are almost no philosophers working outside the university. This specialization process in philosophy has led to a theoretical approach to the problem of what philosophy is, and philosophy has tended to gain a method.
The 20th century is an era in which science and technology are used as power in both economic and interstate relations. This power has clearly manifested itself in production and armament. Dramatic events with political and economic collapses in this period of world wars led people to despair, depressed them and caused them to become individualized. Experienced events have brought about changes in people’s understanding of values and some values have been deeply shaken. Philosophers showed sensitivity to these problems of the age and processed this situation in their philosophies.