Thales’ Studies in Mathematics and GeometryJune 28, 2021
He is a pioneer in the field of mathematics.
According to an opinion quoted by Kallimakhos, one of the ancient Greek scholars, he advised the sailors to find their way by looking at the Little Bear, instead of the northern constellation, Big Dipper. At the same time, he learned geometry from the Egyptians and introduced it to the Greeks. Some of the geometry theorems he found are:
– Diameter divides the circle into two equal parts.
– The base angles of an isosceles triangle are equal.
– The opposite angles at the intersection of two lines are equal.
– The angle whose vertex is on the circle and sees the diameter is a right angle.
– A triangle can be drawn given its base and two adjacent angles.