What is a Philosophical Essay, How to Write a Philosophical Essay?December 21, 2019
The most regular way to develop an idea or argument is to write. Writing also provides a permanent expression of thought.
The thought formed on a subject is expressed in various ways. Essays are one of these types. In essays, opinions on the subject are presented freely and are written in different ways depending on the fields. This is related to the nature of the fields themselves. There are characteristics that distinguish one of these philosophical essays from others.
Philosophical essay; the interrogator follows a consistent and systematic path. The views put forward are grounded and logically persuasive.
In philosophical essays, concepts can be loaded with new meanings besides their known meanings, but these meanings should be explained in the text. This is important for the philosophical essayist to prove logically his or her views. In this respect, it should not be confused with literary essays. In literary essays, the author can use the concepts with metaphorical meanings and does not have to prove his opinion.
The main problem of the essay which will be written on the subject covered in the philosophical essays is firstly introduced. The analysis of this problem is briefly explained and the purpose of the experiment is clearly indicated. The purpose of the experiment is expressed as clearly as possible in this section. Then, the main problem to be discussed is analyzed and its conceptual foundations and basic foundations are shown. Others’ views on this problem are also evaluated by specifying their strengths and weaknesses. It is not necessary to have a conclusion section in every philosophical essay. If the essay author is going to propose a solution proposal, it is based on the analysis and evaluations. By analyzing and critically evaluating the problem, the article can be completed.
Some Suggestions for the Writing of Philosophical Essay
- It is necessary to prepare for the writing phase of philosophical essay. You should make readings about the problem you are going to address and take note of their views. This is important for creating content for the article.
- You have to define a step-by-step framework of the stages of the argument you will proceed and create a draft text. This is important for creating the flow of text.
- Explain and discuss your draft writing with others. This is important to identify the strengths and weaknesses of your argument.
- Deepen your research on your draft writing and consolidate the foundations of your argument. This is important for determining the fiction of your writing and increasing its power.
- Think about all the details of your draft and make the necessary arrangements. This is important for the maturation of your thoughts.
- Attention should be paid to the relevance and logical consistency of the views and evidences mentioned in the article. This is important to ensure that your argument is not easily refuted by others.
- You should make sure that there are no errors in the writing in terms of grammar. You should use simple language and avoid repeated sentences. This is important for understanding the text.
Turkey Turkey in December of each year at secondary school for students from philosophy Philosophy Olympiad is organized by the Agency. In this competition, students write a philosophical essay based on text quotations on pre-determined topics. The winners are entitled to represent their country at the World Philosophy Olympics held in May of that year.
Source: Atatürk University Department of Sociology 1st Year “Introduction to Philosophy” and Giriş Introduction to Sociology ”Lecture Notes (Ömer YILDIRIM); Other Lecture Notes (Ömer YILDIRIM), MEB Philosophy Textbook, Open Education Textbook